DIY Unicorn Piñata

12:31 PM


My birthday is coming up and I wanted to have a piñata for my birthday party! Instead of going out and buying a piñata like a normal person, I wanted to make my own. I searched across Youtube for inspiration and I came across a video from a channel called Kidi Fun. They made a cute unicorn piñata and that's when I found the piñata that I wanted to make! 

MATERIALS:
1.) 3 poster size sheets of cardboard
2.) Assortment of different colored tissue paper
3.) Bottle of Glue
4.) Tape
5.) Cardstock (Black & Yellow)

I started off drawing the basic shape of the unicorn's body on to one sheet of cardboard.  

You don't have to get cardboard sheets from the arts and crafts store like I did. If you have old package cardboard or the cardboard you get from online shopping, you can use that. The only minor difference is that you can choose how thick the cardboard is from art store. The cardboard thickness will determine how difficult it will be for you to cut the unicorn out. The thicker the cardboard, the more difficult it is to cut.

After I cut out the unicorn, I directly trace the body on to a separate sheet of cardboard.

Trace instead of free draw the unicorn on to the second cardboard. You want the body to be similar size and shape.

 Now you should have two similar sized unicorn bodies!

Next you want to determine how thick you want your unicorn to be. 

I decided to make my unicorn about 4.5 inches thick. I drew lines vertically 4.5 inches apart from each other (on the third piece of cardboard) and then cut it out. These pieces will become the side of the piñata. 

Next you will attach these side pieces with tape on to the side of the unicorn's body. Just mold the pieces to go all around. Taping the side takes some time and patience. Just take your time.

PRO TIP: After cutting out all the pieces, roll the side pieces up like a cinnamon roll. This will make the side pieces much more pliable and easy to work with.

 You should have something that looks like this!

Cut 2 slits across the head of the unicorn so that you can fill it up later!

Before attaching the second part of the unicorn's body. It would be wise to cut a hole for you to fill your pinata. If you aren't going to fill it with anything, then skip this step.

Now you have a finished unicorn body! You can decorate it how ever you want. You can paint the cardboard for a quicker finish (work in layers and prime the cardboard).

For me, I cut up pieces of tissue paper and then slowly glued them on.

TO MAKE THE EYES: I drew a circle on to a black piece of cardstock paper, drew shapes with a gold metallic Sharpie, and cut it out.

TO MAKE THE HORN: I took a yellow piece of cardstock paper, rolled it into a cone shape, taped the sides, and attached it to the unicorn.

The finished unicorn piñata!

After spending so much time making this piñata, I decided that I didn't want to smash it! For now, it will just stay as decoration. 

I felt accomplished to actually finish this art project! I haven't really been finishing my creative projects recently, but this is one of the first ones that I've completed. Like most of my projects, I had no idea how this was going to turn out or if I was even going to be able to finish it. I'm really happy with it and I'm glad that I set off on this creative journey. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe